Welcome

I am a stay-at-home mother of 3 living in Utah...who desires to learn more regarding cooking and baking. I hope through my culinary adventures I will learn enough to cook and bake decent food and maybe help fellow moms with their struggles in the kitchen.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Hot Mulled Apple-Orange Cider

I went to a baby shower that served this drink and was in love! The hostess would not give me the secret family recipe (completely understandable) so I went on the hunt for the recipe because it was THAT GOOD! I tried out many recipes (thanks to the internet) and have found what I think is the recipe, or something close to it! The original recipe came from Southern Living, December 1997.

1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 (3 inch) Cinnamon Sticks
4 Whole Allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 Cups Apple Cider
2 Cups Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice

Bring 1 cup of water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 3 minutes. Add cinnamon, allspice, and ginger. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a Dutch oven, discarding spices. Add apple cider and juices; bring to a boil and serve hot. The yield is about 7 1/2 Cups

To be redirected to Southern Living Recipe website, click here.

I must admit the recipe from that baby shower kept the spices in the Dutch oven and the hostess had slices of oranges in the drink. I have altered this recipe to more like hers. I have also, when possible, used all fresh ingredients and it is that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment