Welcome

I am a stay-at-home mother of 3 living in Utah...who desires to learn more regarding cooking and baking. I hope through my culinary adventures I will learn enough to cook and bake decent food and maybe help fellow moms with their struggles in the kitchen.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bay and Lemon Brined Turkey

I got this recipe off of  the Food Network's website and the recipe is courtesy of Dave Lieberman. I made this for Thanksgiving a few years ago and it was a BIG hit! I honestly did not think I liked turkey up until this dish. It was always, in my opinion, dry--no matter who was the cook. I gave up trying to like this bird until this recipe came into my life. Thank you DAVE LIEBERMAN for introducing me to the wonderful world of brining poultry!

Ingredients: 

1 (12 to 15 pound) Turkey

For the Brine:

2 Gallons of water
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Kosher Salt
2 Lemons, sliced in 1/2
4 Bay Leaves
3 Cinnamon Sticks
Small handful of cloves

Instructions:

Combine all brine ingredients in a big stock pot large enough to hold the turkey. Make sure all the sugar and salt have been dissolved. Add the turkey and refrigerate at least 6 hrs (or overnight).

Preheat the oven to 350* F

Remove turkey from brine and transfer to a roasting pan with a rack. Stuff turkey with the lemon halves, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks used in the brine. Cook the turkey for about 3 1/2 hours, basting every 40 minutes or so. If any part of the turkey gets too brown towards the end of cooking, shield with pieces of tin foil. When the turkey is done, juices should run clear from the breast and the legs should pull away from the bird easily. Remove from heat and let rest for 15-20 minutes before carving! Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment